View Single Post
      04-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
I appreciate the input but have you LOOKED at the filter in your airbox? The measurement of the replacement air filter is 356mm x 287 mm of which only about 240mm x 240mm is actually filtering air. Total Surface area is around 58,000 mm. This cylinder measures 150mm by 200mm (total surface area is about 130,000mm). I also looked at the useable filtering surface area of the cylinder and made some assumptions but they still are reasonable ( I think). Assuming filter only takes up 100mm x 150mm of the total in the cylinder the filtering surface area is now 62,800 mm and STILL larger than the stock airfilter. Not by much grant you but still larger by about 8%. (EDIT: this is probably an OVERLY conservative assumption as well)

That is one reason I though running dual filter may be of some use or constructing something similar with a larger surface area cylinder. This really should be no different than running single or dual cone filters just encased in a box protecting it form hot air in the engine bay. That's the bottom line to what I'm getting at. I'm trying to evaluate this as a viable concept. It seems like it is to me but I cant figure out why no one has actually made something like this. Is there a performance reason I don't know about or just too hard?

So it seem you jumped to conclusions before looking at all the information

My friend, you're not using the available information correctly, you're missing a huge part of the equation, design!

The stock airbox surface area filters air all at once, in parrallel. Those BMC canisters might have surface area, but there is considerably more restriction in it's design. Basically the canisters are in serial, while the stock design operates in parrallel.

You have less restriction in the stock airbox.
Appreciate 0