07-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
I'm interested in your calibration steps.
The body shop has to pull my motor for body repairs and it would be perfect to do it while its out
Yes, it will be 100x easier with the engine (or even just the turbo) out.

Pull 200mbar of vacuum (approx 5.9inHg) on the wastegate actuator. With the downpipe off, you should just barely be able to spin the coin-sized wastegate valve with your fingers - should be tight but not too tight.

With the setup in the car, you have to go by feel of how hard the WGA is pulling on the rod and lever arm. I did not pull the downpipes off to try spinning the wastegate valve by hand, but I believe I got very close to the spec setting. It was a damn sight closer than before I adjusted it, that's for sure!

I had been working on a few other customers' 335s recently, and I was irritated by how quiet their WGs were compared to mine - and we all have about the same miles on our cars. That's what prompted the "wild hair up my ass" at quitting time yesterday afternoon. I decided to just give it a try, and by 11PM I was buttoned up and ready to test drive.

Last edited by JamesM3M5; 07-07-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: 5.9 inches of mercury, not psi
Appreciate 0