danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boorapper View Post
I took my car to the dealer and after a couple days of inspection, they called me back and told me that it was caused by a rock because they saw the scratches on the little marble debris.
If the moonroof glass is that fragile that a small pebble kicked up from another car can cause it to *explode* (which is not even the same thing as cracking or chipping), there's something very strange going on. The trajectories seem all wrong for any sort of direct hit. When a stone hits your windshield, you could be hitting that stone at 80 mph, almost straight on. When a stone hits, your windshield, it's probably glancing off it at an angle of maybe 10 or 15 degrees, which isn't going to have anywhere near the same impact.

The only other scenario I can think of would be someone dropping a large rock off an overpass and nailing your moonroof dead center. In that case, sure, it's a direct hit, I could see it cracking or, if it's not safety glass, shattering/exploding. But what are the chances of that?

-Dan

Appreciate 0