View Single Post
      10-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
kowalski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D Auto (2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
I have the same set sizes 225/45r17 front, 255/40r17 from what I read into it you will need to check with your insurance and if car is on finance with BMW with them as when I checked with them the they stated tyres must be of same tech spec so same size.
No finance on the car and insurance companies are not concerned with minor mods like different alloys and tyres. They are only after an MOT certificate as I guess they are unable to check what is original equipment and what is not due to the extremely high volume of used car imports from Japan, UK and Singapore. About every other car is imported used!
Having said that legislation prohibits any sort of modification that increases the bhp output of the car, so if it's detectable it automatically cancels the MOT and concequently the insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
I was going to go for the falkens but on event tyres just worked out about £100 difference for the contis so might just go up to these since they are getting such good praise.
The relatively small price difference was a shock as I expected Falkens to be much cheaper than contis and michelins. Had the difference been say 200 I wouldn't have considered the others. I guess a brand name such as continental or michelin is worth quite a bit not just to me!
Appreciate 0