02-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
This brings up another point actually. A dSLR will let you shoot in RAW format, meaning that you have access to exactly the image the camera recorded as opposed to a processed JPEG. This gives you far mor control over any post processing and allows you to make the most of the image.

This shouldn't be at the expense of getting it right in the camera in my opinion though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Yes, I shoot in raw wherever possible. The resulting 12 bit images contain a wider dynamic range enabling a slight adjustment of exposure, and also tweaking of contrast etc. before saving out as a standard 8 bit LDR file (Jpeg etc).

Most cameras enable the saving of a RAW file alongside a normal JPEG - at the expense of taking up more space on your memory card (but with cards being so cheap that is hardly worth bothering about).

I bought my 400D to mainly create HDRs ...

D.
My camera doesn't fully support RAW, but it has a semi-RAW function, which allows you to make copies of images within the camera using different ISO's etc.

I read about 'bracketing' recently - taking multiple versions of the same shot at different settings - and have been playing about with it a little.

I've also just discovered that my camera has a digital 'flash assist' which enhances the shadows and highlights on flash images, to provide the impression of additional lighting. Activating it has definitely improved the sharpness of indoor shots.

I am also contemplating using the manual settings for shutter speed. Sometimes with the auto settings the selected speed isn't that quick and we have noticed some images with faint blurring that's visible when zooming in.
Appreciate 0