Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastaction View Post
yikes! just searched the forums and noticed the WP failure poll thread with milege etc. But I still have hope it was a low battery glitch as another symptom was my oil temp would not come on sometimes as well. Since the battery replacement the oil temp works flawless now. I have driven the car thousands of miles since and no overheat warnings/problems. Need to look into WP failure symptoms, are they electrical(not turning on) failures or internal mechanical(leaking) failures when they go?
I may be wrong, but from what I've read the problem is mechanical. I believe the original WP had a plastic impeller which caused premature failure. It was replaced with a metal one.

When mine died my wife was driving the car on a highway at over 70 mph. She said the yellow warning light came on followed almost immediately by the red one indicating engine overheating. Luckily she was able to get to the shoulder after the engine shut down.

It's a very scary situation to be in and IMHO BMW should have recalled the questionable pumps. Mine was covered under CPO, but others have had to shoulder the cost for the design flaw.
Appreciate 0