vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Well the dealer that I was in said that they had seen a letter saying that if the BT unit was fried and that an incompaible phone had been paired with the BT kit then it would not be covered under warranty.

Now I know as well as you that BMW are bang out of order if they do this but if they can prove you are using a "non approved" hardware with the BT kit (and they can) then they are saying they will not cover it and the units are £1500.

The problem the dealer has is that they have to now approve almost alll of the electrical parts by way of pluggging them in and uploading data to BMW, they then say if the part can be replaced or not, the dealer has no say in the matter.
Proving a particular phone was paired with the car is one thing; proving a 'fried' TCU was a direct consequence of pairing with a 'non-approved' phone is another.

BMW cannot simply disregard their own warranty terms, unless they can categorically prove a TCU fault was caused as a direct result of a phone pairing. Even if they could, which I very much doubt, their TCU & Bluetooth hardware & software implementation could be argued as being being substandard & of ridiculously poor quality.

I'm going to speak to a friend in the States about this, because I really do think this whole issue is bogus beyond belief.

Viv

Appreciate 0