Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
No...the color of the oil has little to do with its lubricating properties. One of the big things an oil does is hold things in suspension, and if they are big enough, the filter will take them out as the oil passes through. Especially with a turbocharged engine, things can get into the oil fairly rapidly, but until the additives wear out and can't do their job, the color of it is mostly irrelevant. Now, if it spelled burnt or felt gritty, that would be a totally different issue, but color? Not an issue. Now, with a diesel engine, it will get looking nasty quicker, but still works fine.
I've been changing at 4k past couple of times expecting to recover from the '11k interval' junk that previous owner was stuck to ... hows the idea of little sea foam before the oil change ?
Actually at the bmw westmont's parts department today I saw they're selling Amsoil Engine/ Transmission Flush - says put in 10 - 15 mins before oil change .. I was really surprized to see Amsoil in a BMW dealership
I use 10k intervals and send samples to blackstone, while my car was under warranty I did 15k intervals. I'm Fbo. Samples come back looking great at 75k miles... They are posted up here if you want to search...
Appreciate 0