03-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Project seat redye - Coral Red

I got a set of powered, and heated e90 sedan interior for cheap from a junk yard.

To sort of keep the alpine white on coral red theme like my e92 335i, I'm redying these junkyard e90 seats from beige to coral red.

They're going to be installed in my e30 project.

I decided that I wanted to document my progress in case anyone ever decides to re-color their interior.

I've placed an order for a leatherique re-dye kit. I've taken a little snippet of my e92's rear seats for a color match of coral red to send to leatherique.

As I wait for the order to come in, I've decided that should go ahead and work with the plastic trimming pieces on the seat.

Here is the seat installed in my e30.

All power the power related stuff works. Haven't gotten the heated parts to work yet, but it's a work in progress.

Seat bottom removed in preparation for re-coloring.

This is the rear of the seat. At the bottom, there are two little "buttons" that need to be cut off. Just buy new ones to replace when you're ready to re-install (They're $0.60 at the dealer).

Just take a pair of dykes and clip them off.

This is the rear panel removed. I will be re-coloring this to black.

First task is to remove the netting. On the back there are several melted tabs that need to be clipped away to remove the netting panel.

Just take some small pliers and clip around the edges.

After clipping around the ten little retainer things, the net will pop right out.

Remove the net and prepare for recoloring. Just take a small flat head and pop it out of the clips.

I'm using duplicolor vinyl and fabric redye. I've used it to redye the rear parcel deck on the e30 with great success so I'm confident it'll turn out well here too. This will also be used to re-dye netting and the back covering since the back covering appears to be of a vinyl material that is glued on to the plastic. The pictures are after 1 layer. I did 3 layers for each letting it dry 15 minutes in between each coat.

Here's the plastic piece that holds the net. This piece is plastic so it's getting primed for black spray paint later on.

more to come....
Appreciate 0