View Single Post
      07-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

It's possible that other makes of laser jammers must be mounted horizontally. However, Laser Interceptor itself says theirs can be mounted either vertically or horizontally. The heads should be mounted as close vertically and horizontally to the headlights as possible. For a BMW, this usually means mounting in the grill.

Mounting under the bumper may work, but could be too low for over the rise shots as the gun will catch the headlights before the jammer can block.

For mine L.I. and their US rep recommended mounting vertically in the grill. As mentioned by Moth above, this location was tested against four different guns and was found to be effective (although we did not try a shots from way off to the side of the road which may be the weak point). But in my opinion the trap would have to be far off in a wide median or side of the road as the bubble is almost at the front edge of the grill slat.

The L.I. has two receiving diodes - one oriented vertically and one horizontally. My understanding is that detecting the laser beam is a big part of the game. (The L.I. prototype tested by GOL had two transmitting diodes similarly oriented, but the retail only has one probably because diodes of this type are expensive and one seemed to do an acceptable job.)
Appreciate 0