01-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
I drive my RWD E34 as my daily driver, and with snows on it is a beast. Yes it will slip a little, but with these cars being so well balanced, you can feel instantly when it slips and correct your inputs (steering, gas, brake) accordingly. I actually have a lot of fun with that car, and love having the RWD. I use it for the mountains and around town with no problem.

The thing you will notice that varies the most vs. AWD is acceleration, which will be harder to do on the RWD than the AWD in the snow, otherwise the RWD BMW will feel similar in braking and corning as it does in your XI. With most cars having traction control these days (my E34 included) it pretty much takes care of any issues you might have in the snow.

The RWD 335 is going to be a little lower than your XI, so it could start to plow in deep snow, but honestly how often do we get big snows where you are out in it before the snow plow comes on your street?

The only place I might feel I would need an XI would be if I lived in the foothills and drove into Denver, or if I lived in the Mtns, otherwise I don't think its needed as long as you get a good set of snow tires. I have never gotten my E34 stuck for the 7 years I have owned it (and those who know me know I aim for the deep snow usually).

If you do not plan on getting dedicated snow tires, then stick with the XI. I would not want a RWD car on All-Seasons in the snow (I have driven my E34 a couple times on the AS tires where the snow came before I switched over, and it was not fun at all). That's why most feel they have to have AWD here, because they do not plan on getting a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels.
+1 I even pulled my sisters stuck z3 up a hill with my rwd 335i. Snow tires are well worth the price and can be found very cheap on Craigslist. Only time I have gotten stuck was on very steep hill. I have gone though snow drifts 3/4 of a foot higher than the bottom of my car and have not gotten stuck.
Appreciate 0