View Single Post
      12-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
How is my post misleading him. LL01 has a major importance if you want to keep your car running at peak. The last I checked, castrol "syntec" which is now known under castrol edge doesn't have the approval of BMW LL-01 or and BMW approval. Its his personal choice if he wants to use it but without that approval it must mean that it doesn't show a good enough record to be approved.
Yes the factory says change it from 12k-25k but if you wait that long and you drive hard, good luck. I GUARANTEE that he will burn oil if he waits as long as the computer says to change it and not to mention the sludge build up will be bad. The oil will come out blacker than anything you've seen (I know from experience)
I just told OP to avoid non LL approved oils such as the castrol syntec you've mentioned.
Ugg, I see why many before me hate "which oil to use posts".

LL-01(read Long Life) is mostly about the oil holding up under long drain intervals that BMW pushes. It is wise to use it during warranty so as to avoid problems with warranty claims. I stick to oils with these specs as well, most of us do.

Yes Castrol Syntec's new name is "edge with Syntec" or some such marketing bullsh$t.

If you read my post clearly, those oils I recommended are all LL-01 spec'd. Note, I did not recommend Castrol edge with Syntec 5w-30. It is not LL-01 approved and is not a good choice, it is too thin. It is not the same product as BMW 5w-30 (which is made by Castrol).

Castrol Edge with Syntec 5w-40 and 0w-30 are most certainly LL-01.
the 0w-30 is only found at Autozone and apparently Pepboys.

Personally FWIW, I prefer, and have switched to M1 0w-40.

I did not recommend he wait "12k-25k". I did recommend changing on the 1/2 interval or 7.5k-10k miles.

I should not have said anything about HTHS >3.5 or ACEA A3/B3. If he new what that meant he wouldn't have asked which oil to use in the first place.