View Single Post
      04-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #151
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
What is his reasoning around why they may not help?
He's logged his water temps at the track, and they never went above 98C. Now, I used to doubt him, because I have an auto, and he has an H-pattern manual. He doesn't have his trans being cooled by his radiator like we do. However, once I started driving around and looking at water temps, its clear how our radiator works. Keep in mind I even have an AR oil cooler "blocking" my radiator. The only time water temps rise above 98C, is in stop and go, after a long high way run, like my 40 mile commute to and from work. once you get over 40 mph in our car, and air starts flowing through the radiator, temps dive back down to 98C. This also means that the max our water, and trans sees is 98C, or 208F. So for driving around town, or long highway commutes, a trans oil cooler, or larger radiator is a big waste of money. Not 100% sure about the track, but like Mr. 5 said, unless you are driving at 8/10ths for more than 30 mins on a 90+ degree day, your water temps will not go over 98C. I have to see what water temps will do at the track, though, but at this point, I doubt it will go over 98C. I'll report back though.
Appreciate 0