View Single Post
      09-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #28
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Ok, want to get this bill axed? Here's how we're going to do it. I've got a degree in political science, worked on the hill briefly, still work in politics and know the ins-and-outs of the Liberal Party. Here is the best way to get attention.

First things first, forget email, its useless. Letters are key. Not only will a letter get noticed when it shows up at a parliamentary office, MPs (staff) read them and respond to them. MPs are also (for the most part) given a briefing on what letters came in. Letters get read within 24-48 hours of arrival, have a response written up, the MP briefed and then are archived. Emails get looked at quickly and are often responded to, however they are ranked lower on the totem poll than a letter and often do get lost in the hustle and bustle of a parliamentary office. Plus mailing your MP is not hard. There is a way to get your letter noticed, and a way to get it laughed at. I'm going to try and push all the right buttons here.

Some basic facts here: Bill C-319 is a Private Members Bill sponsored by the Hon. Jim Karygiannis, Liberal MP from the riding of Scarborough—Agincourt. It is a private members bill and will most likely not go anywhere, but what we want to ensure is that no party picks it up as a pet issue. Ever wonder how interest groups are able to get absurd ideas on the agenda? They have small armies of crazies writing letters and somebody along the line thinks that its a good idea. What we want to ensure is that if this bill is getting any support (it probably is, people have no life and write their MP about ANYTHING) that it is noted that opposition to the bill exists. Also, I can guarantee that no template letter for this exists and staffers in every office that receive this are going to have to make a whole lot of calls, and do a bunch of research to come up with a position and have it vetted.

Draft letters will do, MPs don't communicate with each other with regards to the letters they receive specifically enough for it to matter and about 50-60% of the letters that come in are based off some template anyways. Templates are to follow.

10-15 people firing off each of these letters should get the job done, lets get a move on people! Lets be the first automotive forum to actively lobby government!
---

Send this letter to your MP (If its not Jim Karygiannis, if he is your MP skip this letter), no postage required, the address in the header is fine just put your MPs name and your riding in the appropriate spots.
Quote:
[Your MPs Name]
[Your Riding]
House of Commons, Parliament Hill
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear [Your MP]

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that this Bill is a private members bill sponsored by the Honourable Jim Karygiannis of Scarborough—Agincourt and thus is not pressing parliamentary business, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written Michael Ignatieff's office as well as that of Mr. Karygiannis.

My opposition to this Bill does not center around its intended goal of creating safer public roads, in fact that is a commendable cause, my concern is based on the fact that this bill seeks to achieve this objective through heavy-handed means. The most worrying provision in this bill is the federal mandating of speed limiters at 150km/h on all vehicles sold in Canada. As a responsible automotive enthusiast this worries me. As it stands there are numerous safe, private tracks for enthusiasts to take advantage of where speeds in excess of 150km/h can be safely and legally achieved. Should this bill become law it will be illegal for us to use our otherwise entirely safe and entirely street legal vehicles in a responsible manner on public roads, effectively shutting out those who cannot afford multiple vehicles from this enjoyable and wholesome hobby. Such a law will add an unnecessary hurdle to those who wish to partake in motorsports in a responsible way, and infact encourage dangerous and illegal street racing on public roadways as a legal alternative will be out of reach.

Automotive motorsports have received negative press in the last few years, as people flagrantly disobey the law and partake in this activity on public roadways. In fact automotive motorsports are safe, enjoyable and lead to innovation in the automotive sector. The solution is to encourage the safe and legal practice of conducting such activities on legal and safe private race tracks. Adding a massive hurdle in front of drivers who wish to do the responsible thing is not an effective way to deal with this issue.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on this matter.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]

Send this letter to Jim Karygiannis. It also does not need postage.
Quote:
Hon. Jim Karygiannis
Scarborough—Agincourt
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear Mr. Karygiannis,

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards your Private Members Bill, Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that I am not one of your constituents, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written my member of parliament's office as well as that of Michael Ignatieff.

My opposition to this Bill does not center around its intended goal of creating safer public roads, in fact that is a commendable cause, my concern is based on the fact that this bill seeks to achieve this objective through heavy-handed means. The most worrying provision in this bill is the federal mandating of speed limiters at 150km/h on all vehicles sold in Canada. As a responsible automotive enthusiast this worries me. As it stands there are numerous safe, private tracks for enthusiasts to take advantage of where speeds in excess of 150km/h can be safely and legally achieved. Should this bill become law it will be illegal for us to use our otherwise entirely safe and entirely street legal vehicles in a responsible manner on public roads, effectively shutting out those who cannot afford multiple vehicles from this enjoyable and wholesome hobby. Such a law will add an unnecessary hurdle to those who wish to partake in motorsports in a responsible way, and infact encourage dangerous and illegal street racing on public roadways as a legal alternative will be out of reach.

Automotive motorsports have received negative press in the last few years, as people flagrantly disobey the law and partake in this activity on public roadways. In fact automotive motorsports are safe, enjoyable and lead to innovation in the automotive sector. The solution is to encourage the safe and legal practice of conducting such activities on legal and safe private race tracks. Adding a massive hurdle in front of drivers who wish to do the responsible thing is not an effective way to deal with this issue.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]
Send this letter to Michael Ignatieff's office. Once again, postage not required.
Quote:
Michael Ignatieff
Office of The Leader of The Opposition
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear Mr. Ignatieff,

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards your Private Members Bill, Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that this Bill is a private members bill sponsored by the Honourable Jim Karygiannis of Scarborough—Agincourt and thus is not pressing parliamentary business, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written my MP's office as well as that of Mr. Karygiannis.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]