Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Has anyone tried the semi-automated hand wash place by Tysons Corner (on Rt 7)?
Yes. Unfortunately, I give it a thumbs down. I blame them for some back and forth micro-scratching on my hood's clearcoat that I'll have to get shim to buff out this spring when I get my next Zaino. That hand wash place is not much more than a gas station wash with a couple of guys standing in it to do your tires (using a brush on a pole and taking about 30 seconds) and other guys scrubbing in the soap with rags or sponges or something on the end of poles as the car goes through. It's bound to put scratches on a black car. Just down the block is the Exxon touchless automated car wash that I use instead.

For now, I'll continue to do the crappy Exxon wash this winter, until the weather is warm enough to wash the car myself. The Exxon place works well enough to get off the salt, but it pretty much sucks, too. At least it's inexpensive. I don't know how filtered the water is, as it seems to leave a bit of a film on the car. I wouldn't want to towel dry the car afterwards because it doesn't seem totally clean, so I have drip marks afterwards.

Maybe I'll try Station Auto Wash at some point if I head out towards Leesburg. Those who know me know that I'm crazy about keeping the car clean, and that makes it tough to find a decent place to do it for me. It isn't easy to get through this winter! There is an Embassy Auto Wash near me but I don't like the way they dry the car with rags, nor do I like how they spray and wipe the interior and inside windows. I'd rather just keep the outside salt free and do the interior myself until it gets warm enough to wash. At this point, I'd settle for 45F to wash the car, but 45F seems like it is weeks or months away.