View Single Post
      01-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

E90 335i LCI Reflector Replacement

I thought I'd post a few pix of the reflector swap I did yesterday. This is a fairly simple DIY, which took me around an hour to do. A few flat blade screwdrivers and a hairdryer were the only tools used. I've read that other forum members have alternately used Goo Gone (or other similar solvent) instead of the hairdryer to loosen up the adhesive on the reflectors - I wasn't really comfortable with this method, but to each his own.

I removed the front wheels to get better access to the wheel well and although the reflectors can be removed without doing this, I highly recommend it for ease of access. I did take some of the pix before removing the wheels.

The front reflectors on e90 LCIs are partially covered by the interior plastic lining of the wheel well (you can see this in the fourth picture below). Three of the screws holding the lining in place need to be removed so the lining can be pulled away from the reflector. Screw locations can be seen in the first two photos below.

Location of screws #1 and #2

Location of screw #3

Pry the lining away from the top end of the reflector and use a screwdriver handle or other object to hold it open.

The photo below is of the backside of the reflector as seen from inside the wheel well. Notice the lining partially covering the reflector. As noted in the photo, I found the best point to start prying was at the bottom end of the reflector, it's much easier to access and once you get the reflector loose it's easier to use the leverage from the bottom. Heat the bottom part of the reflector alternately from inside the wheel well and out for a few minutes - this loosens/softens the adhesive that holds the reflector in place. I should state here that once you begin prying the reflector loose, you should proceed with caution, if you get over anxious and start prying with force and high angle against the bumper, you can very easily dimple the bumper. If the reflector is resisting, try heating again, and as much as possible, pull against the reflector perpendicular to the face of the bumper as opposed to levering against the inside of the bumper. Place a flat blade screwdriver or other thin prying tool where the arrow indicates and gently slide it under. Begin lifting here. As noted in the photo, be careful when prying along the outside edge of the bumper, this area is very flexible and can easily be damaged by a screwdriver if you get over aggressive. Continue to heat along the path of travel as you loosen the reflector.

Once the reflector has been removed, scrape off any remaining adhesive that didn't come off with the reflector from the inside of the bumper.

I'm probably missing a picture here, but the install of the new reflector should be fairly self explanatory. Remove the adhesive backing on the front flange of the reflector, then slide it into place from inside the wheel well. Press firmly in place. I heated the reflector/bumper a bit with the hairdryer to ensure a nice bond...I'm not sure this is really necessary.

The results...

Last edited by zzzbullseye; 02-16-2014 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0