Thread: Z3M Coupe
View Single Post
      01-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

the Z3 M Coupe is truly an awesome car. aesthetically, people either love it or hate it - there is no in between. it is not without flaws though...

1) while it borrows its front suspension from the e36 M3 (MacPherson struts), it borrows its rear suspension from the e30 M3 (semi-trailing arms). many BMW purists aren't crazy about this b/c the e30's rear suspension is not the most advanced design by today's standards (or even late 90's standards when the M Coupe was first introduced for that matter). that being said, i think people exaggerate this "problem." you see, the Z3 M Coupe is a very light platform to begin with, just like the e30 M3 was...and we all know how well the e30 M3 handled. so while the Z3M's "e30" rear end wasn't the most compliant in the hands of a novice, it is VERY capable in the hands of a driver who knows what he/she is doing. i can also attest to this, as i drive my brother's modified 99 M Coupe often enough to know that hardly anything can touch it in the handling department.

2) the Z3M Roadsters AND Coupes have major rear sub-frame issues. if the car is and has always been stock, it is only a matter of time before the sub-frame begins to tear, and will require reinforcement. modified cars often need sub-frame reinforcements much sooner due to the increase in power, or simply due to an excess of aggressive driving, whether on the streets or on the track. sub-frame reinforcement can add weight, but if done right can increase body rigidity above and beyond OEM spec. besides, the amount of weight added by the reinforcement can be removed from other areas of the car (and then some).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked21 View Post
It is, in fact, the most rigid chassis BMW has ever produced. So what are your thoughts on it?
while i agree with marcel b that it is in fact NOT BMW's stiffest chassis, it is still impressive that the e368 (Z3 M Coupe) chassis is 2.6 times as rigid as the e367 (Z3 M Roadster) chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
The Z4 is a newer car with updated instrumentation hence it doesn't feel as old as the Z3.
it also doesn't hold a candle to the Z3M's spartan interior (from a sports car perspective that is...from a luxury perspective, its the other way around)

Z3M :

Z4M :

i've only been behind the wheel of a Z4M Coupe twice, and both times were local drives around town, not track outings - so i have no idea how the Z4M compares to the Z3M on track. however, i will tell you this - a Z4M on the streets would have to be wildly modified to turn more heads than the Z3M. granted, my brother's car isn't totally stock-bodied either...but even when it was, all it needed was wheels and a drop to take attention away from Ferraris and the like...

here are a few pictures: