01-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
It has an LSD, the 2.8 as well. At that time is was standard, also for non-M models.
The coupe is only available after the facelift which means it has the same wide body. Bumpers fitted very easy.
Suspension you should anyway upgrade, M or not M. My dad has a KW3 suspension in it and has the the M3 E36 camberplates in (crossed, so left one right and visa versa) This give some nice camber in the front. He has upgraded brakes / cooling as well, engine wise standard though. A stock Z3M has no chance on a track.
i stand corrected on the LSD.

as regards the body and suspension, the BMW M Registry would beg to differ with you:
Quote:

Chassis

How is the chassis of the E36/8 M coupe different from that of the standard Z3 coupe?
Like all Z3s, the M coupe’s suspension is made up of MacPherson struts in the front and semi-trailing arms in the rear. However, compared to the Z3 coupe, the M coupe has the following modifications:
-Wider front and rear tracks (by 0.4-inches)
-Reduced ride height (by 1.1-inches)
-Modified front suspension geometry
-Firmer springs and shocks
-Thicker anti-roll bars
-Stronger semi-trailing arms
-Reinforced subframe

...as you can see, both the front and rear tracks of the ///M are wider than their non-M counterparts. not that i'm arguing with you over the ease of fitting non-M bumpers to an ///M, but according to these data, they are slightly different. as regards the suspension, you can see that i was referring to more than just the shocks and springs (see sway bars, trailing arms, etc. - they aren't as beefy in the non-M...unless your dad upgraded those things on his non-M too). granted i know that a quality shock and spring setup is most important, and that sway bars and the like are only meant to compliment the main components of the suspension. regardless, if you ONLY upgrade the shocks and springs of the Z3 2.8, you're still missing quite a few ///M suspension components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
sorry, but that exhaust really doesnot fit a Z3 Of course just my opinion.... fits a supra or other Japanese car, but not a Z3M.
well technically it "fits" just fine ...but i get your drift - its not your cup of tea on the M Coupe. believe me, ever since my brother's build started months ago, there have been two main schools of thought regarding the exhaust - people either love it or they hate it...its a theme that's inherent in M Coupe design to begin with, and my brother only wanted to build on it.