View Single Post
      01-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
as regards the body and suspension, the BMW M Registry would beg to differ with you:

...as you can see, both the front and rear tracks of the ///M are wider than their non-M counterparts. not that i'm arguing with you over the ease of fitting non-M bumpers to an ///M, but according to these data, they are slightly different. as regards the suspension, you can see that i was referring to more than just the shocks and springs (see sway bars, trailing arms, etc. - they aren't as beefy in the non-M...unless your dad upgraded those things on his non-M too). granted i know that a quality shock and spring setup is most important, and that sway bars and the like are only meant to compliment the main components of the suspension. regardless, if you ONLY upgrade the shocks and springs of the Z3 2.8, you're still missing quite a few ///M suspension components.
the track is wider of the M, sure, but the body is the same The wheels on the non M are quite tucked in standard.

Sure, the M has a better set up standard then a standard 3.0l, no discussion about that. With some mods though, the 3.0 become really fast though.
I you see the difference in tracktimes it is quite small:
On the famous NS:
Z3M roadster: 08:32
Z3M coupe: 08:22
Z3 3.0i: 08:34
(335i: 08:26)
(Z4M is around 08:15)

It just depends what you want to do with the car, and how much money you want to spent. A Z3 3.0 can be a good (cheap) alternative to the M. But it will never be a M...
Appreciate 0