Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Omega, Tudor.
Tudor:
Can one buy them in the US? I know they have long been essentially Rolexes with ETA movements, and I don't know if that's changed, not that it needs to.
Are they really affordable? I thought they were all at least $2K which is likely very affordable to a great number of folks, but probably not to the typical recent college graduate...

OP: here's another great website I found that is a wealth of approachable information combined with a very well grounded sense of the financial imperatives most folks must accept. http://wornandwound.com/

Note:
Rolex own Tudor.
OP, broadly speaking there are two kinds of watch: those with movements made by the watch maker and those with movements purchased from someone else. ETA make most of the movements found in Omegas, Tags, Breitling, IWC and other big name watches. ETA make several qualities of movement and the price differences among them is huge. Whether a watch's movement is made in-house or not is a huge factor, but not the only one, in whether a watch is "of note" or not. There is nothing wrong with a watch having an ETA movement inside one's watch. If one has one of the higher end ETA movements, all the better.

I suspect it could safely be said that any company that makes movements for its own watches also sells those movements to other companies. The relationships are dizzying to keep track of and if you are just starting out as a collector on a modest budget, not worth worrying too much about. Later on, it may become important to you, for example, to know that Piaget -- an outstanding watch maker -- supplied the movement inside the Cartier watch you are considering. (That's essentially the case for every Cartier except the Calibre de Cartier.)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0