09-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #16
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami View Post
I am curious why you would buy from a company that screws their customers the way BMW is?

I will buy many more cars in my life but none of them will be a BMW. There are a lot of cool, fun to drives cars out there. reward the makers who aren't a bunch of f'heads.
imok, that's a fair question. I totally understand your point. This lag issue has been a huge pain in the a$$ for a lot of people - including me. It SUCKS.

At the same time, here's what I'm thinking: I believe that the pre-29.2 335 is what BMW intended to provide to buyers. And, I believe the software-induced lag (or de-tuning, or whatever you want to call it) is basically a band-aid to prevent a design flaw in the FI system from destroying a large number of motors. It's my impression that these types of design problems can happen when a manufacturer implements a new technology into their product line. Obviously, BMW hasnt done a lot of FI cars...and they didnt get the N54 quite right the first time - shame on them.

I'm not making excuses for BMW, or denying they screwed up.

I sort of half-expected to have some problems with the car when I took delivery on my 2007 335 (since it was the first year for the N54). So, maybe that's why I'm not really feeling too victimized by this lag issue.

I totally understand how some people could feel like they have been screwed and will never buy from BMW again.

But, the pre-29.2 335 is the best car I have ever owned. If BMW can straighten out the lag issue on the 335, I probably will want another one.
Appreciate 0