View Single Post
      09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #67
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Thumbs up New solution found for the Radio Polarization problem!!

Resurrecting this DIY thread, as I used it to solve the Radio LCD polarization problem on my 2011 328i. Found this thread, and ordered the plastic from the 3dLens website. They came thru quickly, had the stuff in a week. Cut it and applied it, and it worked....however the tinting of the plastic dimmed the display too much for my liking.

So came back and reread this thread, and saw where someone used a regular piece of overhead film with the same results. As overhead film has gone the way of dinosaurs and is getting to be hard to find and expensive, I needed an alternative. That gave me the idea to try some anti-glare screen protector I had from an old cellphone as a test. Sure enough, it worked perfectly, and without the dimming as the plastic film was perfectly clear!!

As the cellphone piece was too small to cover the whole 6-1/8" by 5/8" display I needed to get a larger piece of film. So I went on eBay and ordered a piece of anti-glare screen protector for a laptop for $5.95. Here is what I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200774580846...84.m1497.l2649

It came in today, cut the appropriate size piece and problem solved!!!! This film has a slightly adhesive side that makes it removable yet keeps it in place perfectly. Best part about this stuff is that the polarization effect it TOTALLY eliminated, no matter how you turn your head!! I'm going to be cutting a small piece for the AC/Heat Control display as it also polarizes, but 90 degrees out of phase with the Radio control, making it not as noticeable as the radio.

Hope this helps someone else!!
Appreciate 0