Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert View Post
Poorly worded and incorrect? The 335i had a car length from 20-130 MPH on an e60 m5 in p500 mode with upgraded exhaust and removed char filter.... When the 335i hit the 155 mph limiter the M5 would pull ahead by 1-1.5 CL. The guys who raced are good friends- and 3 runs and the man's word is proof enough for me.
I don't see how that is incorrect given the criteria of engine mods- there aren't any big hardware changes albeit the down pipe, exhaust, and FMIC; the rest is ECU tuning. Once people start upgrading turbos and suspension you should damn well be able to suspect similar handling to the M3 and a ton more HP.
I remember reading an interview of a BMW engineer speaking about how BMW could have easily added a good deal of more HP but didn't so the car could retain that "BMW feel."
If your leasing cars then all of this is irrelevant- speaking from a buying stand point here.
One video is never enough for me. Dynos please. Anecdotal evidence is an oxymoron.

Of course we're not talking about leasing, as mods become even more expensive on a leased car (cost of removal). The point is that mods have essentially zero ROI, far worse than the depreciating cost of the car and thus increase total cost of ownership considerably. This difference becomes less the longer you keep the car, but I'm guessing people who mods 335's significantly for speed won't keep the car past warranty.

EDIT: Of course, if modding is your jones, then do it! But don't expect to take a 335 and make an M3 for less money overall.

Last edited by Keto; 09-17-2007 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0