View Single Post
      01-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

While it's great that it has a few months on CPO, I'd consider that pretty much non-existent. It seems every other day someone is posting on this board that they're being hammered by repair costs on their 335 and they're not mentally, or financially, prepared for it. So before you buy one, make sure you're OK with what type of commitment the car will take. It's not a 328, as I'm sure you're aware, when it comes to problems.

Also, don't get lulled into any false sense of security by looking at what's been fixed already. Many 335 owners have had repeat problems. It's great to know the car's history, but as they say in the finance world, "past performance is not an indicator of future performance."

If you're going to buy a 335, I'd recommend two things right now:

1. Buy an N54, but make sure you have enough spare cash to deal with regular maintenance and repairs. A budget of $2k/year is probably the low-end if you're going to be driving the car 12k - 15k miles a year. Be prepared that more catastrophic issues can run you significantly more if and when they occur.

2. Buy an N55 and go CPO, ensuring you have a few years covered under warranty. The car will be more expensive, but you can get something with lower mileage, and you'll worry less about budgeting for repairs.

Now, whether the price is good on this particular car? I think we'd need to see the complete options list (you can get it via a VIN search online if necessary). As you're aware, BMWs can have $20k of options - cold weather, premium, nav, sport package, etc. I'd make sure to get all of the details. And then at the end of the day, it's about what the car is worth to you. As long as you're within a few thousand of other comparable cars, it's about the UNIQUE car. Unlike a new car, each used car has it's own unique history and situation that can cause the price to fluctuate from even an equally equipped car elsewhere - was it garaged, is the paint swirl/scratch free, are the tires and brakes in better condition than another (brakes and tires can run you a few thousand when they need replacing), etc, etc.

Last but not least, I'd consider not buying a 335 at all - at least not now. They're great cars and tons of fun. But you have a 328 that's only been in your possession for a YEAR. Cars are depreciating assets, and the more frequently you "flip" them, the more you get burned (in most cases) financially. The 328 is a solid car, and it'll go for several hundred thousand miles if treated right. I'd honestly say drive this car, maintain it well, and have fun with it. When it's facing the "knee in the curve" - where repairs start to outweigh the cost/convenience of a new vehicle, trade it in then. BMW will continue to build the 335i, and you'll always be able to pick up a later model at that time.

My 0.02 cents.
Appreciate 0