12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #171
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman993 View Post
As a matter of fact, I stumbled
on a vague nav update procedure in the manual and it refers to using DVDs. [...] Back up plan is to either download
the DVD sets in the other thread (lol), or bite the bullet and do a CIC update
at the dealer. (I wonder how much something like that would cost).
Points of clarification to help you avoid wasting time/effort.

CIC map updates *prior* to the 2013 maps were via DVD. Someone discovered you could put the DVD contents on a flash drive and update via the USB port on more recent CIC systems. It still behaved like doing the DVD update, as you had three different images you copied to the flash drive (either three 8GB drives or using one or two drives and overwriting). I downloaded the three DVD images, tried the USB method, it didn't work, and I fell back to just burning the DVD images.

As far as I know the 2013 map update for CIC systems is NOT available via DVD. The 2013 update DVD thread refers to the older CCC iDrive/nav systems used before the 2009 model year. You can't use those with a CIC system.

What I wonder is: when Tischer says early CIC cars must be updated at the dealer, does this mean the dealer does the update via some other method, or does the dealer update the car software and then do map update via USB?
Appreciate 0