View Single Post
      09-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
orangelax44
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 330i

Thumbs up Dension Gateway 500 iPod / USB interface Install in e90 330i

I just installed the Dension Gateway 500 iPod and USB device interface in my 2006 330i. The following is a short writeup of the install process and some pics of it:

1. Followed instructions for the CD-changer retrofit. (do a search) The wiring diagram in the pdf did not show the correct fiber optic cable connection, so I had to fool around with it a bit until I got the light to arrive at the cd-changer connector in the trunk. I can detail which ones worked for me. When you have the wrong wiring hooked-up, you'll know it, your sat radio stops working, and you get errors.
2. Assembled the dension fiber optic cables and connectors. Easy enough
3. Opened the trunk area where the cd-changer connector is.
4. Tapped the cd-changer prewiring for power UPDATE: I was told by dension power should come from a CONSTANT source, NOT a switched one, like the CD-changer pre-wiring.
5. Connected the dension to the most wiring and power.
6. Since it was connected properly and completes the MOST loop, the radio works fine. (And you can see the fiber light).
7. It was at this point I went to the dealer to "code" the car for the CD-changer but they refused to unless I had an "official" bmw cd-changer.
8. Picked up an older cd-changer off of ebay for pretty cheap and installed it.
9. Paid the dealer $120.00 to push a few buttons to code the car for the cd-changer.
10. Now that the cd-changer works with the car (and new iDrive menus) I connected the dension back up.
11. Ran the cables to the back seats, and up through the side of the center console.

I think its a nice alternative for those of us that missed out on the BMW 6FL interface option from the factory.
Attached Images

Last edited by orangelax44; 09-17-2007 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0