Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Quasi, I think you may be a bit confused. The DPF regeneration is separate and independent from the DEF injection. The DPF physically catches particulate matter, which is periodically burned off. The DEF is injected into the exhaust to react with and neutralize nitrogen emissions.

The European cars must still undergo he DPF regeneration process even though they don't have DEF systems.
Not confused, just ignorant. So then the regen is something accomplished by the engine system without any DEF injection. Interesting. The thread I was reading had all kinds of advice about driving certain speeds and whatnot to allow the vehicle to do a proper "regen". I wonder if US 335ds could be reprogrammed as European 335ds so that they can do the non-DEF regen. But from the problems being discussed on the UK forum, it appeared that tne non-DEF regens were not that reliable since some apparently had their DPF plugged up. Possibly caused by driving the car short distances or in a type of driving which did not allow it to accomplish the required regens. So maybe the DEF system is best as well as being cleaner.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0