01-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #56
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Fantastic DIY! Was very helpful. I have a couple thoughts based on just having done this on my car:

1. The little plastic screw that holds the wire cover/bonnet seal in place is actually the male part of a two piece expanding rivet. You need to take the female part out of the old piece and transfer it to the new piece. Then the screw will have something to go into.

2. leave the snorkle off until you get the airbox lid screwed down, and leave out the two 10mm bolts too. You need to be able to see into the airbox to get the lid lined up properly in the grooves, and you will need to be able to work the whole assembly around to get the snorkle in place. I found it best to clip that rear latch in place and then work forward getting the lid in the grooves and the screws in.

3. Finally, once the snorkle is screwed in, insert and tighten the two 10mm bolts.

Final thought - I'm generally not wild about using oiled filters on engines with MAFs. But in this case, keeping the charcoal filter in place seems to eliminate the potential of contaminating the MAF sensor. Plus adding a little extra air filtration for anything that gets through the K&N.

I did the Performance Exhaust at the same time and the increase in sound is just perfect. Not too loud, no droning, but also no more feeble whine at low rpms. Even if it doesn't make the car faster, it certainly sounds faster!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0