Thread: Driving schools
View Single Post
      03-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Whether you choose to do an auto-x school or track school is a question of what you are trying to accomplish. Auto-x teaches you fine car control skills. A good auto-x'r makes a great road racer. However, your teaching is in 90 second (give or take) bits with about 5-10 minutes between runs. On a good day you might get 15 runs in.

Conversely a track school will usually be at least 4 20 minute sessions. Track schools do not focus as much on car control skills but are better for teaching lines and smoothness. Good road racers do not make good auto-x'rs because track driving is a totally different experience.

The BMW CCA schools (both track and auto-x) are some of the best I have ever attended (and I have attended many of both types). The instructors are top notch!! If you can't do a track school by all means do auto-x.

And yes, at track days cars do roll, crash, etc...The risks are much higher on a track than on an auto-x course. High speed driving always entails some degree of risk. The nice thing about auto-x is the risk is MUCH lower as is the cost.

Have fun and be safe!
Appreciate 0