01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #389
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
But that can only inherently tell the system that the same battery design and capacity has been installed.

Unless Ah valuation has been provided, it can only revert to what was originally programmed.

Now, going up in Ah (capacity) should be a non-issue. If the system wants to maintain the battery at about 80% SOC, and then put energy in, what it will end up finding out is that when it puts energy in, there is more capacity to put even more in. The SOC is determined by evaluation of voltage, which under load has to utilize an estimation for cell impedance in order to be correct (Vt=Voc-IR). If a smaller battery was installed, the logic should still cut out based upon SOC, but the conditions may be such that it causes overcharge conditions or puts too much energy in too quick.

Now I have a 135i, and Im just reading about the BMW batteries. I think mine is black, but Ill have to check. What Im trying to understand even after reading 18 pages is the actual difference between programming and registering... From there Ill go figure if the E8x needs it like the E9x.

Thanks!
Reviving old thread since google brought me here... I am curious if you were actually able to figure out the difference of programming/coding vs registration?

The only thing that really matters is to get a RC (Reserve Capacity) close to the original battery. You really only have a hand full of charging profiles that we can use on these cars:

Type:
* AGM/non_AGM (the reason you want to choose the correct type is because AGM batteries don't like to be charged at high voltages like lead acid batteries often are. Also, lead acid batteries don't like to be deep cycled like AGM's do. That's why choosing the wrong type will be the cause of premature failure of the battery).

Battery:
* 90 AH profile (Using formula, use this coded profile for 85 AH and up)
* 80 AH profile (Using formula, use this coded profile for 75 AH to 85 AH)
* 70 AH profile (Using formula, use this coded profile for 65 AH to 75 AH)
* 60 AH profile (Using formula, use this coded profile for 65 AH and less)

Formula for Calculating the AH for the car to be coded to for your replacement battery:
(Reserve Capacity / 2) + 16 = AH

So on my original battery I see the following specs
CA: 720
CCA: 720
RC: 160
AH: 90

I believe BMW took some liberty with those "specs", the only numbers which I think are "real" are the RC (Reserve Capacity) and the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). Because the only numbers we care about are those exact values. CA (Cranking amps) is always going to be greater than the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) on any replacement battery so that's why they set it to the lower value for both meaning it's "at least 720 CA and at least 720 CCA". I also believe the battery I have based on the RC of 160 is actually a 96 AH battery: (160 RC/2) = 80 + 16 = 96 AH, but they labeled it as a 90AH to make it easier for the tech to know which battery profile to have the car coded to... in this case we would use the 90AH "profile". The only other item I haven't gone into detail is if I had an AGM or non_AGM battery. In this case if I had a lead acid battery in my car I would want my car coded for a 90AH but if I was using the AGM battery instead with same or better specs then I would want the 90AH_AGM

You could just code the car with the battery type set to the correct charging profile... but if someone were to ever re-code your car to the VO... you would go back to the original specs of your car. The correct way is to update the VO (remove old profile setting and add new profile setting) with the correct battery profile and then re-code your car. Finally, register the battery using the BMWLogger tool (free from smooth1). Battery registration basically is the act of wiping all the old battery history (past 5 days) and logging the mileage at which you changed the battery.

if your replacement battery can use the same charging profile you already have programmed in your car... then you don't need to do anything other than the simple registration which is free with a coding cable from ebay and the free BMWLogger software from Smooth1.

Please send a few bucks donation to Smooth1 if you use his free software. Supporting his efforts will probably get more free stuff in future BMWLogger builds. Even if it is something as simple as $1 or $5 each time someone registers a battery... it adds up and helps the community at large.
Appreciate 0