03-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #25
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with exchange rate differentials; I wasn't talking about the price of add-ons. The basic car is presumably the same throughout Europe and I can't imagine that they have different A/C control knobs and thinner plastic, etc. for UK models.
Whilst I was in the showroom I had a look at the new 5 series and - wow, what a classy interior. In quality terms it was almost as if it was made by a different manufacturer and get this: spec for spec, the 5 costs about the same as the 3.
I reckon it's all down to marketing and making the 5 that special has, presumably, forced economies in other areas. It's a shame that I can't act my age, but at 61 I don't think I'm old enough for a 5. The same applies to the XF, so I might just have to reappraise the A5 3.0 TD Quattro, but I already know that I won't exit corners with as much of a smile on my face.
I can only hope that BMW will take heed and redress the balance in the next totally new 3 coupe - that might tempt some of us back to the fold. Dynamically, it has all I could wish for because it can handle twisty fun and relaxed cruising with equal aplomb. Every journey is a pleasure, but it wouldn't be the same with the cheap interior.
I got my first E60 5er when I was 27 . I don't think its an old man's car at all. And lets not forget the M5 which can be a bit of a monster.
Appreciate 0