View Single Post
      10-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #38
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

There's a [potentially major] problem with this writeup, concerning the removal of the "long" piece of dashboard trim. I can't speak for all model years, but what I say below certainly applies to my 2011 e90.

The removal of this piece of trim should start as described in the write up: by pulling the left-hand end of the trim. Almost all pegs that hold this piece of trim in place are held by friction, so all you need to do is just pull it away from the dash. However, the very rightmost peg (closest to the passenger door) is different. It is held in place by a metal clip (attached to the dashboard) that has two metal flaps that "bite" into that last peg. When you attempt to pull the trim away you are working against these metal flaps. Don't do it!

Yes, it is possible to successfully remove this piece of trim by "brute force" pulling. If you apply considerable force, the flaps will "shave" some amount of material from the rightmost peg and eventually release it. However, you risk damage to the trim as well as to that metal clip on the right end and to the surrounding dash material. Instead of force-pulling that last clip, you are supposed to disengage it.

The proper removal sequence is as follows:

1) Start pulling the trim on the left-hand side (as described in the writeup)
2) Proceed from left to right: continue to pull out the pegs one after another. You will notice that all pegs pull out rather easily, yet the rightmost end of the trim refuses to pull out. Don't force it.
3) Once all the pegs except the rightmost one are free, shift the entire piece of trim to the left. This will disengage the last peg from the metal flaps that were "biting" into it
4) Move the trim away. After the previous step (i.e. when the last peg is disengaged) that should not require any force at all

Last edited by AndreyT; 10-30-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0