View Single Post
      04-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #29
tr_horn
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 335i

Just did this with High Gloss Black trim today on an LCI e90 with IDrive. Great instructions - thank you.

A couple of observations/comments for folks interested in doing interior trim swaps:

- The one place I differed with what was done was the center console. I don't think removal of the wiring to the hazards/DTC(DSC?) is necessary. If you work from the bottom of the venting units with a moulding removal or small flathead screwdriver, and slightly push up (same basic motion as when you take off any of the trim), the vents come out quite easily. It took me a half hour to figure this out

- one can have a tendency to want to put things back quickly - I know I did - and twice found small parts that needed to go back on the trim - so take your time

- I like the beer idea - give yourself a nice long afternoon to do this and maybe a cold one as a break. It didn't take that long for me, but the clips in many cases are tiny (I have a theory that all short people with tiny hands work at BMW/Mercedes/Audi/VW/Porsche putting together these pieces - hence we only see tall Germans) and it's easy to get frustrated.

- I ended up using a trim removal kit (do a search on Amazon) and I like the plastic putty knife idea too. The flathead screwdriver does work, but there's just something about sharp metal around leather and hard plastic that I wanted to avoid
Appreciate 0