View Single Post
      03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Update

After an ordeal I've managed to isolate the problem and had it confirmed by dealer. I finally obtained all the correct parts (hopefully), and have been researching posts and YouTube videos to prepare myself for the repair. I have the tools, and the Bentley publishers repair book and have read through it as well as the online DIY step by step guides for replacement of sensor.

I’m planning on the surgery this weekend but studying up before I do it. Could anyone provide any further feedback on things that aren't in the Bentley or DIY guide? Any "lessons learned" out there that people would be willing to share?

I read posts and DIYs here, saw DIYs on different forums as well as this video I found on YouTube
for a 328i.

1. I read from others that getting the valve cover out of the engine was very difficult. What did everyone do to fix that? I see in the video the technician removed sheet metal in order to make it easier.

2. I saw in the video it was very difficult to remove the fuel injector wiring harness and it had to be pulled out with difficulty, is there a finesse way to do this?

3. I read in the Bentley book that when installing I should use glycerin to coat the parts that touch the gasket. Any other tricks such as this? Also, is it better to put the gasket on the cover or the cylinder head?

4. In the Bentley book it also states in the warning part to "not get silicone sealant in near the vanos or actuator or solenoid or it will cause faults". It also states to "place a small quantity of silicone sealant at metal to metal seams. I don't understand where to put that. Isn't the gasket the entire seal?

5. I read that it would be a good idea to cycle the key without starting 5 times. Do I need to reset any adaptations after doing this and what would I use in INPA?

Anything else I should check while in there or not likely to be aware of and should be?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0