View Single Post
      04-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi, had 2006 330xi SGM

I've thought about this route several times - even appplying at a Mazda dealership in my early 20's. But I decided to keep my passions and my career separate - beacuse I didn't want to soil my passion with the ineveitable BS that business always entails - no matter what you do. As soon as $$$ get involved - everyone's approach changes, sometimes a little - sometimes a lot!

I think the best route might be to work for BMW in some IT capacity. Steer clear of the rabble, dumb-ass buying public - but get closer to the cars. Make buddies with the motorsports guys or the marketing dept - get out to all the unveilings, track days, promos days etc.

Selling cars would suck at all but the very best marques - even at BMW, I suspect. I was told that - as a gear head driver - I was a rarity for my sales guy - who was also one of the very few in Canada who was also a gear head.

True keeners are just too rare - I worry you'd be driven made by "regular" folks asking about how to mount baby seats and prevent stains on the leather and how to get dog hair out of the carpets.

Frankly - watching most buyer's total ambivelance to the machinery I love would drive me mad. For example - when I was looking at 330's, I sat in one to hear the Logic 7 system. Another buyer was there too - and he wanted to hear the system as well. We sat in the car, he dialed in a classical FM station and he listened at a very low volume for about 20 seconds, delclared he could discern no difference from the base system, got out the car and told the rep, "Don't check that option for me".

This was a good call - since he clearly wasn't ever going to put the system through its paces - but he also clearly had ZERO appreciation for quality HiFi and wouldn't know a good system from a bad. Again - totally fine - but NOT an enthusiast, gear head, audiophile keener who drinks in the brilliant engineering of the car. These guys are the norm it seems. I would be stangling them in frustration by week four!

Just somethign further to consider.

RK
Appreciate 0