ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
You have a german license plate, so I believe, german law applies. According to that, any modification to relevant parts of the car either must be covered by a general approval (like an E-number or ECE-number) or have to be presented at TÜV for approval. Otherwise, the permit is invalidated. With all of the implications I mentioned.
The license plates that are issued to soldiers here are strictly for americans. Germans cannot be issued ones starting with AD or HK. I believe they are now issuing out ones belonging to the city they reside in.

With this whole TUV thing, I have yet to hear ONE american get in trouble for modifying their vehicle. There's a modified Evo, Sti, SRT-4's, Skylines on the post I work at and none have any issues. Again, WE(americans) so not have to follow those same strict laws that you(europeans) do. More than likely that was discussed by our governments and we were given a bye on that.

I know all to well how difficult TUV inspections are and registering modded cars. I had a friend that decided he wanted to live in german after the army. He had to switch his registration to the german government and they told him he would have to pay around $10,000 in order to get it done because of all the things he did with his vehicle. It was simpler for him to just sell the car.

Yes we live in your country, but Americans are protected from a lot of things you are not. Just like americans paying $20,000 less for a car made in your country. Thats just the way it is. Sorry. I could never live in germany. So many stupid laws and taxes.