View Single Post
      03-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #211
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
It was my understanding that the tables were for max ignition advance and the ECU would attempt to hit those values, but might not depending on octane, temp, etc. And like others have stated it will not exceed those, even with race gas. So instead of thinking of those tables as absolutes like an open loop map, you have to think of them as caps. I know you guys will burn me at the stake, but I'm thinking BMW left some timing (power) on the table on the stock max ignition advance. Otherwise you could fill a stock car with race gas and beat up on more expensive product lines. Same with the iS. Max advance (cap) is 3 degrees less. Is this for safety? Or so the 335iS doesn't beat up on its big brother M3? Just playing devil's advocate here.
Without a way to actually advance timing while sitting on a dyno there is no way to check what is left on the table. Filling up with the highest octane out there and running meth on top - there may be a few more degrees left on the table.

It is too bad some of the guys who think we are hating through creating these discussions to enlighten people how the rest of the world follows tuning theory. I brought up EFI University which does a ton of training for professional tuners and enthusiasts. A friend of mine from Haltech USA used to instruct a lot of these types of courses. I am happy to see that some people are catching on and able to see through some of the BS that is spoken. This platform is itching for a tuning solution that is complete. By the looks of it COBB will be first with ATR unless Shiv actually opens up the Halwin software for people to tune.

I personally don't think the end of motors will happen when ATR is released. Just as BMS is doing - the users will be able to rely on the stock DME to protect them. I have seen first hand as in developing software for this platform we tested the effects of lean burns, and timing errors, etc. The DME is very fast and very capable. That backup/safety logic is great to have - just not to use as a primary means.
Appreciate 0