View Single Post
      10-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
The thing with modern BMWs (be this a good thing or not, I can't decide), anything that causes an issue with the car is stored in the cars memory.

If you've had a proper diagnostic done, it will highlight any issues.

So, assuming your mechanic has proper diagnostic abilities, he/it has told you the NOx sensor is buggered. They fail, not just on BMWs, VAG motors also seem to be plagued with them.

Your mechanic - what did he tell you, exactly?

The NOx sensor can be flagged as "aging", not knackered in some cases. My wife's car said the same. I reset the engine warnings and it was ok for a few weeks, then kept coming on - so replaced the sensor and reset the adaptations, and all was fine.

I would be surprised, however, if there were no other faults shown if the car runs like a sack of shit, as you describe. I would doubt the NOx sensor is the cause of this - which is why I'm dubious your mechanic has told you the right information - and I'm also surprised that the diagnostic has shown a failed sensor, yet (without anything to suggest otherwise) he's saying he doesn't think that is the issue.

If he has decent diagnostics, it will tell him what is wrong with the car - there will be no guesswork involved. Unfortunately, the days of an experienced mechanic listening to a cars engine and diagnosing the faults are almost extinct.

IF there was nothing else on the diagnostic aside from the NOx sensor, then you'd be daft to not change it to at least rule out what the diagnostic has confirmed as a certain failure.

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-16-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0