View Single Post
      01-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #74
gjdavies
Rep
Drives: E90 320d (in 3 months :-()

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Because, Japan, for one, and other parts of Asia use WCDMA extensively in their wireless networks.

And because in Europe, a 3G handset would make alot more sense in the iPhone's price range, than the GSM+Edge version that was announced for the US - and Apple isn't clueless.
Agree with your points........ well, apart from Japan. Japan use a system called FOMA in the main, although there are a few WCDMA operators out there. I actually work for a Japanese Electronics/Comms company who provide an awful lot of Communications kit worldwide and believe it or not, the Japanese market is very closed to outside companies. Apple don't do as well on a % basis in these markets as they do in the rest of the world. Biggest selling phones in Japan are Sharp/NEC et al. Sony Ericsson are slowly gaining market share, but the Operators dictate the software that runs on the Phone. Vodafone do this extensively and Japanese UI's are very different.

I do however completely agree about Europe. But it's essentially the same as Motorola did. They started promoting EDGE into Europe during the height of the 3G craze. Seemed crazy and didn't pay ooff, but it allowed them some small volume of handsets.

This unit will be bought by early adopters and even though it lacks network functionality, it will still sell buy the Cargo Ship full. The amount they sell will probably fund the devlopment and introduction of a 3G version shortly afterwards and my betting is it will be a cheaper device. But that is why the EDGE version will come to Europe.

The pricing set out is designed to maximise revenue from essentially a 'fanboy' market, where people will: 1: Buy it because it's Apple and Cool, or 2: Have to be seen with the latest whatchamagizmit.

The next big thing of course is WiMAX. Widely believed to be the first 4G network............. you can beet Apple have thought about that, given the fact that Intel are one of the biggest promoters of the technology and now also the core platform provider for the latest generation Mac's. Plus I bet the iphone is on an intel chipset............
Appreciate 0