View Single Post
      10-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Even though this is an older thread, it's still really the only DIY on door window replacement in this forum so I wanted to update this thread with details that differ from the OP in regards to a 2008 US 335i Sedan. Their front door windows (not sure of the rears, but I'm assuming they would be similar to the fronts) are "snapped" into the white guides that are permanently attached to the tracks, unlike the OP's in which the glass/guides are bolted on.

To remove a door window, it must be raised approximately 105mm (4.1 inches) from the top edge of the door such that the guide latches, and more specifically, the holes in the glass that the guide latches snap into, are visible through oval openings in the black tracks.

Then a flat-blade screwdriver is inserted at roughly 45 degree angle or greater through the oval opening in the black tracks, pushing away the locking tab visible in the holes of the glass, until the screwdriver is above the top of the white latch. Ensuring the locking tab of the guide is clear of the hole, simply lever the screwdriver up gently to lift the glass out of the guide. Repeat on the other guide, then tilt the back edge of the glass upward to pull the glass up and out of the door.

Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the process. The instructions and lone illustration provided in BMW TIS were not clear enough to understand what needed to be done, so it was only after some minutes of scratching my head that I figured it all out.
Appreciate 0