10-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
my comments were geared towards people that are tuned, not stock. Running 89 on a tune is not recommended. Running 89 on a stock car would probably be ok temporarily but its testing the low end of the design limits for the engine, not something I would run on a long term basis (perhaps if you are stuck and only 89 available, or carry some octane booster in trunk in case of emergencies for those that travel to rural environments that are tuned).
Re ethanol comments - rumor is that BMW tests the fuel in the tank to determine the ethanol content and if its above a threshold (10%), they have given people issues with warranty claims and failed HPFP's. Dont have the threads handy but they have been posted on the US side...
Tuned cars have knock sensors too. Running a normal car on 89 has been proven to be fine too. This same thread comes up every month or 2. I believe manual says ethanol in fuel is fine. I don't listen to rumors...especially here. It has been proven that it has nothing to do with HPFP.
Appreciate 0