View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Guys, listen, read my first post: I am looking for further independent research and studies into the effects of ethanol on the engines. I am not worried about my car. I am not concerned about my car. I understand that ethanol will wear out my fuel pumps faster (as I mentioned in my second post already. More volume flow = more wear). I understand that this is still rather experimental. That is why I made this thread in the first place, to see if anyone has come across any additional research (not anecdotes) into the effects of ethanol on an engine.

If such analyses have been made specifically in response to this AAA claim, which seems to be mostly unsubstantiated, this would be helpful. I feel that every website that has regurgitated this AAA study has done little to no thorough analysis into whether they have a point or not, and people's misgivings about the subsidies and "better options" for generating ethanol are clouding their judgement on the objective effects of ethanol on their engines. However, it could be that I just haven't read enough research into it.

If you are wondering, I have been using anywhere from 50-100% E85 in my car for the past several months, and it has not had a hiccup aside from misfires (which I fixed, plugs were old and due for a change), and the LPFP not being able to keep up (understandable, stock fuel pumps). Other than that, my engine has not been behaving in any way even remotely similar to the reports of "blowing up engines" that people seem to keep posting. Additionally, since Brazil has been running a 25% ethanol blend for years, AAA's worries about E15 seem politically motivated. My concern is not about my car. It is about the spread of seemingly incorrect information about E85. Since I am an AAA member, I do give them money, so there is a level of trust that I feel might be waning. The only article I've seen AAA put out cites no sources whatsoever on the specific research overviewed.
I think you are chasing unicorns here. No one is going to make a blanket statement, such as AAA, giving an "All Clear" to use E85 across all makes and models. Is Ethanol safe for all makes and models? Hell no. Is it safe to use in >2007 BMW 335i? I would say Yes.

To have a definitive answer, someone would have to study our engine and fuel system components during E85 use and over a long period of time.

Last edited by Fully_Bolted; 01-02-2013 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0