rossenguzman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy451 View Post
I had this very same issue (grinding noise included) this summer. The grinding noise went away after about a week, but the lights remained. The car still functioned fine, so I had no qualms continuing to drive it. I got a 4 wheel alignment (which was way off) and that got rid of the ABS light and restored my cruise control. But within 10 seconds of starting the car, the 4x4! light and traction control light came on every time. I replaced the battery as it was 8 years old, and that did nothing. Finally brought it to the dealer since it was winter and it wasn't handling worth crap in the snow and they pulled the following codes:

5F3A

The dealer wanted to replace the entire transfer case to the tune of $5000. I did some research and found posts here on e90 (including this one) and I decided it looked worthwhile to check the worm gear in the actuator motor. I removed it from my car and $65 and several hours later, I had it all back together and it now works perfectly. No more issues. If anyone is getting the 5F3A code, I would highly recommend checking this first. At 10% of the cost of a whole new actuator and 1% of the cost of a transfer case, it's time and money well spent.

So I have the same issue do you think I should replace the same part? For me this came up right after I did the OE tune and got new brakes and ball joints and control arms, they did align it too... I think it might be one of my bearings because I can hear it and actuator motor because it only goes off when I really step on it... As soon as torque kicks in (which is 340 at max to the wheels) it does the 4x4! Like and Brake light...
Appreciate 0