View Single Post
      08-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #61
Lotus77
Rep
Drives: E91 325xi

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong with my 2006 325xi E91 transfer case. Symptoms started 6 months ago with barely noticeable stuttering under open throttle in 6th gear at highway speed (manual transmission). A couple months later this stuttering became more pronounceable and would occur under open throttle starting from 2nd gear. At the same time my long term average mileage improved from 12.5L/100km to 10L/100km. After another couple of months I now get the standard transfer case lights after I start driving (4x4!, abs, traction control, brake lights all come on). I do not hear any grinding noises as some have observed. Once the lights come on there is no more stuttering as I'm assuming the transfer case clucthes disengage the front axle drive. I'm also assuming the gas mileage improvement is due to the fact that the car became rear wheel drive from full time AWD.

I am leaning towards changing the actuator motor however I'm questioning why there was stuttering under hard acceleration. Might this point to worn out clutch plates?

The car has 240,000 km and I do drive it pretty hard in the summer and 4 months of snow covered roads.
Appreciate 0