Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBimmerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Why try to fit a square peg into a round hole? If you're going to get a set of rims anyway, why not just get a set of lightweight, 18" rims for auto-cross use only? Or get a set of rims for daily drive, and retire whatever you're driving on now for auto cross duty?
I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggybacking, but I'm in a similar situation. I drove my first SCCA solo event on Sunday and had a blast, but am thinking I need to revisit my tires, although I'm unfortunately on a pretty tight budget.

The car is an e90 330i, which currently has 19" Morr VS8.1s with Goodyear F1 Asyms at 245F/275R. I have the stock 18's on hand, shod with Blizzaks for winter at the moment.

I'm debating just using the stock wheels with dedicated tires for now, which I believe would drop me from STU to STX, where I'd be more competitive based on times I saw on Sunday, assuming I don't lose a ton of time. I could then go to a lighter rim at some point in the future.

Any feedback on that approach?
If you use the oem wheels and you dont have any other mods you can stay in stock class for scca.
Thanks, but I do have qualifying mods which put me in ST. At this point the plan is to go with the stock 18's (8" front / 8.5" rear) and find a good summer / dry tire that will drop me to STX. If I'm reading the rules correctly that means up to 265mm, as low as 140 treadwear, and depth > 7/32" which I know leaves me tons of options. I just have to pick one, find the money somewhere, and I can bag me an RX-8 A little yellow one that sounds like a whole hive of pissed off hornets leads STX for my region and I was real close to his time on my first day out. Hopefully the changes I'm considering will have dual benefits of dropping me a class *and* dropping time. Just not sure if that's an accurate assessment because I basically don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.

Anyway, that was more hijack than even I intended so I'll take the tire talk to its own thread...
Appreciate 0