View Single Post
      09-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Basicly, right behind the steering wheel where the paddles are for the shifts, there is a 2nd set of paddles, 1 on each side, for the clutch. All 4 paddles together make kind of a butterfly shape.

Both clutch paddles work, and the reason there are 2 is because the drivers will press 1 partially the way down and hold it, and then use the other one to fully press down to make the actual change. After the change has been made the fully depressed clutch paddle is released and the partially depressed paddle is slowly released to allow for a consistently smooth shift.

I'll try to find a picture and illustrate it.
From my understanding, during actual driving, the clutch pedals are not used. I believe that ignition cut out is integrated with the transmission so that you can do "zero lift upshift" -- basically shifting by simply pulling/pushing the lever/pedal, no clutch pedal involved. This technology is used in higher level racing, such as the ALMS, and pretty common on motorcycles.

The clutch pedals are probably only used when stopping completely or accelerating from a standstill, i.e. pitting, or when you spin out
Appreciate 0