07-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #77
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by statelax3 View Post
I cleaned the plastic wheel, no reading side. The clear plastic piece the ir shines through, and the ir piece below the clear part. Did I miss something important? NOT an electronics guy!
When I had my SZL apart, the encoder (plastic wheel) was so gunked up with that junk I was of the opinion that that alone might be all that's wrong with these failing SZLs. I have no idea how any kind of decent readings could have been obtained through all that mess.

Nevertheless I did some soldering as well.

Now, the OP spoke about touching up the solder joints on the emitter only. Frankly, from the way mine threw errors if there was a solder joint problem in the IR portion of the system I would have expected it to be in the receiver which is an array with lots of surface mount soldering. Both the emitter and receiver soldering looked just fine on my SZL but I touched up the emitter anywhere.

As I mentioned in my thread, I found the "soldering" job on the main connector (where the pins are through-mounted in the PCB and then extend outside of the case to mate to one of the locking connectors from the car harness) was suspect. They seemed mechanically sound but looked like the pins were just jammed in the holes and held mechanically.

If cleaning the disc didn't fix your problem may you do have an actual soldering issue and should go back in there. If you lack experience see if you have a friend or colleague who has some decent soldering experience. One little whisker of solder in the wrong place and you can fry a critical component when it's powered back up. Teaching good soldering technique is pretty hard in a car forum thread
Appreciate 0