06-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL4_3SERIES View Post
Newbie here...Got a question for you veteran BMW owners...I am in the military stationed in Germany. I took advantage of the BMW Military Sales Program and ordered a 2011 BMW Alpine White 328xi 6 weeks ago and I take delivery at the end of the week. My question is this...I went to the German BMW dealer and asked for the BMW Oil bag and a litre of oil for my car, since I am doing a break-in trip to Berlin and wanted to have some on hand just in case. They gave me 5W-30 LL-04, BMW OEM oil, which from what I understand is a re-branded Castrol oil. Why would they do that when they know my car is U.S. Specs (asked for VIN # and my German Registration shows U.S. Specification? Is it okay for me to use if I need to top the car off during my trip? What would be the hazards of doing such a thing? Is there a better alternative for me to use for this trip? Okay so that wasn't "a question", but I have never owned a BMW before. Help anyone?
I'm in the same situation.

The LL04 is the best oil that you can use so long as you are burning low-sulfur EU gas. When you're back in the states, have the oil changed w/ BMW LL01.

Here's a pic of the oil that BMW Den Haag uses for my US-SPEC 328i:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433503
Appreciate 0