View Single Post
      08-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Take the car over and have a wheeze.

You CAN do 150mph in many places on the Island - just don't expect it to be a straight piece of road!

The Mountain is an awesome bit of road, and getting it right brings a warm glow to your cockles. Getting it wrong is not something to think about.

Get the sun, and the Island can be a very picturesque place - the sandy beaches, the rocky coasline, the mountain scenery. Take a gentle potter up Tholt-y-will, and imagine a full works rally car doing a hundred and god-knows-what up there (Tony Pond was doing in excess of 140 in a TR7/8 back in the 80's).

The Island has never had speed limits - when the rest of the UK went from a derestricted to a blanket 70mph, the Island didn't. They had car tax related to engine size decades ago too. I understand they have a better tax rate too!

Yes, I'm a biker too, so the Island holds many happy memories for me - the first corner I frightened myself on (Cronk-y-Voddy), following the course car opening the roads, so being able to take a line knowing there was nothing coming - the course cars don't hang about, and the drivers know the road, so two-up on a 1000cc Jap iron was stretching my abilities at times.

Love the place

They don't call it "The Promised Land" for nothing

Mike
Appreciate 0