03-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
It's not stupid if done right. My friend leased a used vehicle, while under warranty at half the cost to lease a new one. The secret of course it to strike a good purchase prices. The residual drop decreases with vehicles age. In another words leasing a brand new vehicle for 3 years is more expensive than leasing a 1 year used vehicle for 3 years simple because the value loss between year 1-4 is less than between 0-3.

I am not talking about leasing a 5 year vehicle that's guaranteed to need work done.

You can have a bad financial deal regardless of lease new/buy new/lease old. And you can have a good one as well for each of those.
purchase price has the least to do with it. The most important factors are residual and money factor. Even if I gave you a crazy buy price on a 7 series or an M3 I have on my CPO lot it would still cost a shitload of money to lease. You have to lease a car that has a substidized lease rate and high residual to get a good deal.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0